124 Years of Govt. Brojomohun College
Govt. Brojomohun College, established on 14 June 1889 is spreading the light of knowledge till now with reliability, confidence and sincerity after 124 years of establishment. The College is situated in the Divisional City of Barisal some 2 kilometers away from the famous river Kirtonkhola. This is the most ancient and aristocratic College of Greater Barisal and one of the most prestigious colleges of Bangladesh. The college has produced a good number of famous personalities in various fields who keep contributing in their respective field. Govt. BM College is the holy symbol of truth, love and purity. The mass people of Barisal feel pride for this famous college.
Though Barisal was called the "Venice of the East" and "Crop House of Bengal", the town's education sector was not strong, as it was geographically far from both Dhaka and Calcutta. Barisal Zilla School was established in 1854, but the school was not large enough to serve the rapidly growing numbers of students. To solve the problem, Mahatma Ashwini Kumar Dutta started a new school in 1884. As there was no facility of higher education, the district magistrate at that time, Ramesh Chandra Dutta, requested Mahatma Ashwini Kumar Dutta to establish a college. On June 14, 1889, Aswini Kumar Dutta founded Brojomohun College.
The first principal of the college was Babu Gyan Chandra Chowdhury. While Ashwini Kumar Dutta taught English and Logic, Kali Prasanna Ghosh taught History and Kamini Kumar BidyaRatna taught Sanskrit and Bengali. In 1898, BM College was transformed into a "First Grade College" from a "Second Grade College". In 1912, the college went to the Govt. management from personal management strategy. From 1889 to 1917 the regular activities of the college took place in BM School campus. The college was relocated to its own present complex in 1917.
From the very beginning the college was so dynamic and the results were very good. The teachers of that time were skilled, so Calcutta University started an Honors course in English and Philosophy in 1922, Sanskrit and Mathematics in 1925, Chemistry in 1928, and Economics in 1929. In 1928, Shirimoti Shanti Sudha Ghosh stood First class First in Honors in Mathematics from Calcutta University.
The time from 1922 to 1948 is called the "Golden Period" of the college. The governor of Bengal at that time, Sir Udbarn, once commented on BM College, "The College promises some day to challenge the supremacy of the metropolitan (Presidency) College."
Due to the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947, the college lacked teachers and the student body fell to one third of its post-war size. This made it difficult to teach the same numbers of courses and as a result the two year Honors curriculum conducted by Calcutta University was replaced with the three Honors curriculum of Dhaka University. As a consequence, Honors courses except Mathematics were abolished in 1950. In 1952, Honors in Mathematics had also been eradicated. During the 1964-65 session, Honors in Economics restarted. Several other Honors and Masters Courses of various subjects started between 1972 to the 2005-06 sessions.
The time since 1965 has been called the "Age of Enrichment" of the college. Former principal Prof. Mohammad Hanif is called the "Architect of Modern Brojomohun College". There are currently 20 degree (pass) courses, 18 Honors courses and 19 Masters Courses at BM College. H.S.C. course have been abolished since 1999.
More detail about
Govt. Brojomohon (B M) College